event hq – 3-1-5 health club – lancaster – la1 3pe (m6 junc 34)
distance – 108 miles / 174 km
ascent – 7892 ft / 2406 m
the beast ride starts on the riverside cycle-path on the outskirts of lancaster, and you gradually head north towards the lake district national park – which is now a world heritage area.
the route very much follows the back roads to get there via quiet lanes and small hamlets. the first big challenge of the day in the long and steady ascent to shap summit, followed by a visit to shap village and our first feed station.
the next highlight is to ride along the shores of ulswater and towards the second classic ascent of the day – namely kirkstone pass. once up and over this, quiet lanes lead to the second feed station of the day at staverley village.
once refuelled – country lanes lead to the quiet sea side town of arnside, with its excellent selection of cafes and ice cream vendors. this fuel will be put to good use to get over the final ascents that lead back to lancaster and the finish area.
- free secure parking on tarmac car park
- on site toilets inside 3-1-5 health club
- rider registration in the club entrance on the day
- friendly team of experienced marshals and helpers
- public liability insurance
- 1 x fully equipped ambulance staffed by 2 x professional paramedics
- gpx files of route sent out with event day information e mail in week before the event
- quiet roads and lanes throughout
- fully way-marked with distinctive arrows and safety signs throughout
- 2 x feed stations en route
- cafes, pubs, shops and toilets en route
- riders times published online post event
- free post ride photos available post event
- broom wagons on standby to retrieve broken bikes and riders
- chill out area in finish area to relax post ride
- goody bag for every finisher containing certificate of completion, muffin and recovery drink powder
- souvenir event medal + car stickers available for purchase with online entry
- special discounted use of health clubs showers, saunas, steam rooms, jacuzzi and pool